Old Faithful Lodge in Yellowstone National Park is located opposite the more famous Old Faithful Inn, facing Old Faithful geyser. The Lodge is constructed in the National Park Service Rustic style, and includes dining spaces and a recreation hall, known as Geyser Hall. The roof structure of Geyser Hall is reminiscent of Gothic wood construction, with a height of 73 feet to the ridge. The Lodge was designed by Gilbert Stanley Underwood and was built in 1923 with additions in 1927. The Lodge is included in the Old Faithful Historic District.
The current Old Faithful Lodge is a result of numerous changes dating back to the early days of tent camps. These camps were erected throughout the park and offered shelter before hotels and lodges were built. By the 1920's, auto traffic into the park was increasing dramatically and it was determined that the tent camp at the site should be replaced with a permanent lodge.
Following a site visit earlier in the year, Grand Light was selected to restore and replicate the lighting fixtures from the historic Geyser Hall. Rather than risk loss or damage in transit via a common carrier, Grand Light dispatched a team to Geyser Hall and carefully packed and transported the historic fixtures 2,400 miles back to Connecticut. These fixtures include 148 historic gothic-style pendant luminaires, of which 28 will be replicated, as well as 40 larger historic luminaires of the same style.
Grand Light will clean all luminaire components, inspect and repair all mechanical defects, replace all existing electrical components with UL listed products, rewire and hipot-test the fixtures. To restore the historical integrity of the luminaires, previously installed plastic panels will be replaced with historically accurate medium-amber glass, and all undamaged original glass panels will be cleaned and re-used.
"Old Faithful", which could be seen nearby as Grand Light's team removed the lighting fixtures from the Lodge.
A view of Geyser Hall in the Old Faithful Lodge with all of the historic lighting fixtures removed and packed for transit back to Connecticut, where they will be restored, rewired, and replicated.
For more information about this project, please read the project page.
About Grand Light:
Grand Light has restored, replicated and manufactured custom lighting fixtures at every scale, including various projects at Yale University, Minute Man National Historical Park, the Lincoln Square Theater in Decatur, IL., The Otesaga Resort and Hotel in Cooperstown, NY., The Shubert Theater in New Haven, CT., and other prestigious projects nation wide.
Located at 580 Grand Avenue, New Haven, Conn., Grand Light has been serving the interior and exterior lighting needs of homeowners and professionals since 1929.