Custom Gothic-Style Chandelier - Orford Congregational Church
<< Previous | Main | Next >>
- Project Overview
- In Progress
- Completed Project
The church is the only wooden gothic structure in New Hampshire. The building has an ornate, arched window over the main entrance, and arched side windows. Around the clock tower, decorated with a balustrade, lies an ornate frieze, and a recessed cornice with decorative brackets.
In the summer of 2006, the church ceiling collapsed, and the chandelier fell to the floor and was crushed. Entombed in a closed-off section of the bell tower, lay a magnificent 67-inch dodecagonal gothic-style chandelier. This original gas-mirrored reflector chandelier was made circa 1854-1870, and led the restoration search committee chairman Carl Schmidt and Reverend Wilson to Grand Light's restoration experts.
- Restoration and reinforcement of the existing historical frame
- Custom made reproductions of the decorative crown
- Fabrication and installation of 36 custom corrugated mirror glass panels
- Fabrication and installation of a custom 12-light round center pendant with decorative stem
- 3-4 chains and canopy
- Wiring in accordance with UL standards
- Painted finish to be determined by the church.
As Grand Light's restoration specialists were working on the chandelier, they made an interesting discovery. While cleaning the oxidation off of the frame, the team found a striking poly-chrome stencil beneath the verdi-green overcoat. After conferring with the church restoration committee, it was decided that the stenciling would be refinished as originally intended.
Once assembled at ground level, the electrician connected the chandelier to the light lift and finalized the installation by attatching the completed piece to the ceiling.
With the flip of a switch, the illuminated chandelier drew gasps of wonderment from Reverend Wilson, and the manager of the church restoration, Carl Schmidt, both of whom were impressed by the impeccable craftsmanship of Grand Light's team.
With a hearty round of applause from various congregation members, the restoration committee and other on-lookers, Grand Light's work for the church was complete.
Haynes & Garthwaite Architects