- Project Overview
- In Progress
- Completed Project
The Chapel was built in 1842, and takes its name from Timothy Dwight, president of the University from 1795 through 1817. It was designed by architect Henry Austin, who was born in Connecticut and practiced architecture for over fifty years, based out of New Haven. Austin worked on both public and private buildings, and his gothic revival architecture style made him one of the most popular architects of the time. His valued contributions to the city are still noted today. The Grove Street Cemetery Gates, New Haven City Hall, and numerous buildings for Yale are among Austin's celebrated efforts. Located in an area of New Haven renowned for essentially being an outdoor museum of architecture, and with the historical precedent set, it was imperative that any restorations on the campus be handled with care and attention to detail, no matter how small the task.
These two drawings were created to aid Grand Light's restoration team through the process of rewiring and recreating various components of the pieces.
The team began by restoring the damaged leaded glass panels inside of the iron frames. They carefully reproduced the panels to emanate light in a warm, even glow - maintaining the ambiance created by the medieval style of the buildings' interior.
Grand Light then went on to carefully strip the iron exteriors and refinished pendants. With the application of a clear, non-yellowing, UV resistant lacquer and internal rewiring to adhere with UL specifications, the pendants were complete.